Wednesday, December 28, 2011

New Years Challenge



Sometimes getting away is just good to have a change of scenery and fresh perspective.  In the last few days I've watched the movies "The Help", "The Bucket List", and "Julie and Julia."  I've seen all three of these movies before but between watching these three movies, having conversations with a few people, and reading a few books, I've been reminded that life is short and we aren't promised tomorrow so we need to make the most of today.  There is no time better than the present to start taking steps towards your goals. 

So as I'm thinking about an upcoming birthday and a new year I'm seriously thinking about next steps I need to take in my life.  What can I do to further explore passions and interests?  What am I doing to grow and get closer to checking off items on my "bucket list?" 
I'm a list person so sometimes I need to write something down on paper or even schedule it on my calendar to make it happen.  I've started making a short-term and long-term list to help keep me focused and accountable this year.

If you were to die today, what would people say about you? Have you been all about accomplishing success but not nurturing relationships with others?  When all is said and done what will last?

Sometimes we get in a funk and seem to be "stuck" with where we are.  There are things we wish were different but we don't know how to get from point A to point B.  Sometimes all we need to do to get out of this funk is to take a small step.

What about you? Are there some things that you've always wanted to do but just haven't gotten around to it?  It could include physical, spiritual, intellectual, educational, or relational goals.  What's preventing you from taking some steps (even if they seem small) to achieve those things?  Is it fear?

I challenge you in 2012 to make some steps.  Share with someone close to you some of your goals so you have some accountability.  Schedule time in your calendar or start saving money to do something different this year.  Make this new year (which includes 365 days and 8760 hours) count.

And I'll leave you with this Mark Twain quote: "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the tradewinds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."


No comments: