Monday, January 16, 2012

Pumpkin Spiced Latte

                                 
Although I don't like coffee, this time of year I love hot coffee type drinks so I came across a recipe for a pumpkin spiced latte. It seemed pretty quick and easy and I couldn't help but try it out.

The original recipe was:
1/3 cup (3 tbl) canned pumpkin
3/4 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp nutmeg
2 oz coffee or espresso
1 cup warmed milk
whip cream

Combine pumpkin and spices.  Add coffee; mix well.  Pour in warmed milk; stir.  Top with whip cream; sprinkle with nutmeg.  Makes 1 latte.

But the recipe also suggested substituting 3 tbl pumpkin pie mix for 3 tbl pumpkin and spices.  Well we tried the pumpkin pie mix substitution first and I loved it! It reminded me of one I've ordered from another coffee shop before and paid $2-3. 

We then tried the original recipe and decided it was nearly as sweet and honestly I found it rather bland.  So I'll be sticking with the alternate version although feel free to try both.

To save the pumpkin pie mix/pumpkin that we didn't use we put a single serving amount in zip-lock bags and stuck them in the freezer.  That way when you want to make just one cup you just take out the bag, break up the pumpkin mix and warm it up in your coffee mug with the other ingredients.

Instant Yumminess!  We used skim milk and fat free cool whip which lowered the calories and made it even more enjoyable :-)

No comments: